The Home Improvement Agency helps people who live in the Borough of Scarborough and Ryedale District to maintain their independence in their chosen home.
Choices4Energy is now part of the Home Improvement Agency.
Disabled facilities grants help disabled and elderly people to live more comfortably and independently in their own homes.
A disabled facilities grant can be used to:
- make it easier for you to get in and out of your home
- make access to your living room, bedroom, kitchen or bathroom easier
- provide suitable bathroom, sleeping and kitchen facilities that meet your needs
- adapt heating and lighting controls for ease of use
- provide you with adequate heating to meet you medical condition
- make your home safer
Assessing your needs
North Yorkshire County Council will visit your home to assess your needs. Depending on the outcome, a referral may be made to the Home Improvement Agency and we will then assess the work, obtain quotations, approve grant applications and oversee the adaptation process.
Means-tested grants of up to £30,000 are available to home owners and tenants to enable the recommended adaptations to take place.
If you fail to qualify, we can still support you through the adaptation process.
Apply for a grant
This service looks at all aspects of home safety advice and support. A free home safety check is carried out in your home, giving general home safety advice and offering practical advice and solutions to:
- reduce the risk of trips and falls
- improve the security of your home
- improve fire safety
- improve energy efficiency and reduce fuel bills
- other housing related support
Handyperson and minor adaptations service
This service helps older, disabled and vulnerable people with small jobs and minor adaptations around the home.
For example we can:
- Change light bulbs
- Put up shelves/erect flat pack furniture
- Secure loose carpets or rugs around the home (but not fit carpet)
- Fit replacement door/window locks
- Supply and fit Key safes
- Fit plastic and metal grab rails
- Fit mop stick handrails
- Fit external handrails
These are only a few examples of how we can help, no matter the work you need, always feel free to ask. If we cannot help we may be able to suggest someone who can.
Unfortunately, we are unable to do:
- Any gas works
- Any electrical work
- Any jobs at height
For small repairs work a charge of £15 per hour (inc VAT) is made, plus the cost of any materials purchased by the handyperson on your behalf. Please note that the majority of minor adaptations will be provided and installed free of charge.
We also run a gardening list in conjunction with local gardeners. If you are looking for help with your garden, please visit our gardening services page.
“The White Rose Home Improvement Agency is currently one of the partners delivering a new project ‘Warm & Well in North Yorkshire’ which is being rolled out to provide a range of winter wellbeing support aimed at reducing excess winter deaths, tackling cold homes and improving overall winter health.
The project is funded by British Gas Energy Trust and is being managed by Rural Action Yorkshire. A range of practical, financial and holistic support is available to residents, enabling them to stay warm and well in their homes this winter.
Examples of support on offer:
- Practical and financial help to stay warm
- Home visits to look at how your home can be kept warm and to make minor repairs or install energy efficiency measures
- Talks and information sessions for social clubs and groups to look at useful ways that members can keep warm, well and safe
- Support parish councils and others to set up winter weather schemes that will keep your community safe and well this winter
- A Hardship Fund for those in need
- Training and awareness for frontline workers and organisations, in subjects such as fuel poverty, energy efficiency, and applying for Warm Homes Discounts
- Campaigns, resources and top tips providing guidance and advice on a range of winter health issues
The project aims to support those who are unemployed or on low incomes or in priority groups, such as people over 65, families with young children, and people with existing health issues. The project also aims to support rural residents, and those off the mains gas grid.
If you would like more information about how the project could help you or someone you know, please contact us 01723 232323 or