Taxi and private hire drivers licence

On 1 April the single new council for North Yorkshire launched replacing Scarborough Borough Council and other local authorites in North Yorkshire.

To find your Councillor or to view minutes, meetings and agendas please visit the North Yorkshire Council website.

We do not issue separate drivers’ licences in respect of private hire vehicles and hackney carriages. We issue a dual driver’s licence which gives the holder the flexibility to drive either type of vehicle and will only issue licences to those applicants that we consider to be ‘fit and proper’ to hold a licence.

All drivers must satisfy us that they are fit and proper people to be granted a drivers’ licence, and must then remain a fit and proper person for the duration of that licence. The fitness and propriety of a driver will be monitored / assessed throughout the period that the licence is held.

Applicants are expected to act with honesty and integrity throughout the application process, and must therefore fully and accurately disclose any information that is requested. This includes information regarding previous convictions, warnings and reprimands, current investigations and pending criminal proceedings.

We aim to ensure that private hire and hackney carriage services delivered within the borough are of a good standard. The application and compliance procedures are designed to ensure these standards are maintained, monitored for compliance and appropriately enforced.

Details of the full application procedure are attached to the application pack and can be downloaded together with a medical report at the bottom of this page. All prices can be found here.

You are advised to read our taxi and private hire policy before completing your application.

If you require any further information please email

 HM Revenue and Customs - Tax Requirements Commencing April 2022

From 4 April 2022, the rules are changing if you're applying for a licence for a:

  • hackney carriage / private hire driver
  • private hire vehicle operator

If you're an individual, company or any type of partnership you must complete a tax check if you're:

  • renewing a licence
  • applying for the same type of licence you previously held,that ceased to be valid less than a year ago
  • applying for the same type of licence you already hold with another licensing authority

For further guidance visit tax check.

You will not need to complete a tax check and you should follow the confirm your tax responsibilities guidance if you have:

  • never held a licence of the same type before
  • had a licence of the same type that ceased to be valid a year or more before making this application

For further guidance visit tax responsibilities.

PDF icon New Driver Pack855.11 KB
PDF icon Driver Renewal Pack393.92 KB
PDF icon Medical Report255.57 KB