Provisions of the new Act include the following:
- The requirement for metal dealers to satisfy their local authority that they are a legitimate trader;
- All sellers of metal must provide verifiable ID at point of sale which is recorded and retained by the dealer;
- A cashless offence will apply to all scrap metal dealers including ‘mobile/itinerant collectors’ who conduct house to house collections;
- There will be two types of licence available: a site licence or a collector's licence;
- There will be a single national publicly available register of all scrap metal dealers.
There are fees applicable for this service.
Under the new Act we must not issue a licence unless we are satisfied that the applicant is a suitable person to carry on business as a scrap metal dealer. In the case of a partnership this means assessing the suitability of each of the partners in the partnership, while in the case of a company it means assessing the suitability of any directors, company secretaries or shadow directors.
Therefore as part of the new application process an applicant will be required to provide a Basic Disclosure certificate for these persons from Request a basic DBS check - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) to submit along with their application form.
A summary of the regulation relating to this licence can be found here.
Will tacit consent apply?
No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact the council.
Failed application redress
Please contact the Local Authority in the first instance.
An appeal against a decision may be made by the applicant within 21 days from the date of receipt of the notification of the decision to:
Scarborough Magistrates’ Court, The Law Courts, Northway, Scarborough, YO12 7AE
Should any person have a complaint relating to a licensed premises or suspect a premises is operating without the required licence, please contact Licensing Services on 01723 232323 or email firstname.lastname@example.org