LSCT reconsiderations and appeals

On 1 April the single new council for North Yorkshire launched replacing Scarborough Borough Council and other local authorites in North Yorkshire.

To find your Councillor or to view minutes, meetings and agendas please visit the North Yorkshire Council website.

What if I think you have worked my LSCT out incorrectly?

If you do not agree with the decision we have made regarding your LSCT then you can;

Ask for an explanation of the decision.  

Ask us to look at the decision again.  This is known as a ‘reconsideration’.   

If you have asked for a reconsideration and we have decided not to change the decision then you can appeal against it. 

Making an LSCT appeal.  Appeals against LSCT decisions are dealt with by an independent tribunal body, the Valuation Tribunal Service (VTS).

You have two months from the date we send you the outcome of your reconsideration request to submit an appeal to the VTS.  If you have not received a reply to your reconsideration request within two months then you may appeal directly to the VTS. 

Appeals to the VTS are submitted online at  You can only submit an appeal if you have first asked us for a reconsideration. 

We will receive notification from the VTS if you have submitted an appeal.  Once we are advised of the hearing date we will provide you with a copy of our case. 

Additional help

If you feel that you would benefit from or require independent professional advice then there is a local office of the Scarborough and District Citizens Advice.

Contact us

If you need to get in touch about Local Support for Council Tax, please use our dedicated online form. 

Contact us (Benefits) >