Goldwings charity display and parade called off

Friday, 23 July 2021

This year’s Goldwings fund raising display and parade in Scarborough has been cancelled for a second year.

The organisers have taken the difficult decision not to go ahead with the event in September because of the challenge of keeping the crowds, and participants, Covid safe.

The cancellation has been made in the same week that the spread of the more transmissible Delta variant of the coronavirus gets worse in our local communities.

The case rate per 100,000 of the population in the borough of Scarborough is now more than 630.

The organisers feel they can’t take the risk, especially as securing suitable event insurance would be almost impossible without a raft of safety measures and risk assessments in place.

The display and parade also had to be cancelled in 2020 because of Covid-19 restrictions.

The 2019 event raised a record £11,200 for Yorkshire Air Ambulance (YAA).

It provides a lifesaving rapid response service to five million people across the whole of Yorkshire and costs more than £3 million a year to run.

Stuart Clark, our head of operations and events, said:

“I said last year that I hoped the 2021 Goldwings display and parade would be the best yet.

“However, I don’t think anyone would have thought we would still be trying to deal with a pandemic a full 12 months later.

“It is a real shame we will have to wait another year before we can welcome this spectacular event back to Scarborough.

“However, given the circumstances, and the fact a new variant of the coronavirus is spreading in the borough, this is the right – and only – decision to be made.”