Planning applications, enquiries & appeals

On 1 April the single new council for North Yorkshire launched replacing Scarborough Borough Council and other local authorites in North Yorkshire.

To find your Councillor or to view minutes, meetings and agendas please visit the North Yorkshire Council website.

Make, view, comment and get help with planning applications.

Before an application

Making an application or enquiry

During an application

Viewing and commenting on applications and appeals (Public Access)

What happens during the process

After an application

Appeal against a planning decision

Discharge your conditions

  • Approval (discharge) of conditions. An application of this type is necessary where a condition in a permission or consent requires the details of a specified aspect of the development (which was not fully described in the original application) to be approved by the local planning authority before the development can begin. This is also more commonly known as 'discharging' conditions and should not be confused with the process to remove or vary a condition. 
  • Discharge of condition(s) applications must be made in writing and the associated fee paid when the application is submitted.

Seek naming and numbering advice

  • If your application results in the creation of a new property or new street or, involves the subdivision or conversion of existing buildings, you may need to apply for the alliocation of an official address or addresses.
  • Where your proposal involves the change of use of a building for example from a house to a shop, and you wish to add a business name to the shop front, you may need to apply for a name change or addtion of a name application.  
  • When your proposed works result in alterations which may affect your address, for example where the main access to a property is altered, resulting in that property being accessed from a different street you may need to apply for a change of address.
  • Further information in relation to our naming and numbering processes and details of how to apply are available here.

More information

General Enquiries

Other types of enquiry