As of April 2019 we are introducing a residents discount permit. Applications are now being accepted. The permit is issued free of charge.
A Scarborough Borough resident permit gives residents parking discounts on tariffs in all the councils pay and display car parks.
You will need to supply
- Your address
Proof of vehicle registered at a Borough Council address (see below for accepted proofs)
- Vehicle registration document in your name and current address
- Certificate of motor insurance or cover note – showing your vehicle details with name and current address
- Garage bill of sale – showing your vehicle details with name and current address
- Company letter confirming you are the user of the vehicle and insured to drive the vehicle
- Hire/lease agreement/letter confirming you are the user of the vehicle and insured to drive the vehicle
You can apply for permits for each vehicle you use providing that the permit is registered to the Borough Council Address
On average your application will take 10 working days to process and we'll send you confirmation that your application has been approved and you can start using your permit.
What is a virtual permit?
A ‘virtual’ permit exists as a digital permit in the same way that road tax has been ‘virtual’ for the last few years. You will not have to display a paper permit in your car as long as the vehicle has a virtual permit in place.
Are there any other benefits?
Because the permits are virtual they can no longer be lost or stolen which saves residents the cost and inconvenience of applying for a replacement. Virtual permits cannot fall from view so the risk of receiving a Penalty Charge Notice for failing to clearly displaying a permit has gone.
How will Civil Enforcement Officers know who has a parking permit and who hasn’t?
Civil Enforcement Officers will use a handheld device with recognition software to link permit-holders to the number plate of their car.
I don’t have a car. Can I still have a virtual permit?
Virtual permits must be assigned to a vehicle registration mark.