Information for owners of hotels, guest houses and other types of holiday accommodation who want to provide parking scratchcards for their guests.
It is the responsibility of the hotel to ensure that they have scratchcards for their guests, should they wish to purchase them.
Types of scratchcards
Red one-day town centre
Allows guests within the town centre hotels to park in the on-street pay and display areas with a correctly validated scratchcard for one day.
Scratchcards are available on request from the hotel, from the parking services offices at a cost of £3.00 each.
Town centre hotel scratchcards can be delivered if needed (please note this is a facility for town centre hotel one day scratchcards only).
Purple two-day holiday accommodation
Allows guests visiting the area and staying in accommodation outside of the town centre to park in the disc zone bays, within the same zone as their accommodation, with a correctly validated scratchcard for two days.
Scratchcards are available on request from the holiday accommodation, from the Customer First Centre. Proof of the operation of the holiday accommodation is required e.g. Business Rates. scratchcards cost 80p each.
Yellow four-day holiday accommodation
Allows guests visiting the area and staying in accommodation outside of the town centre to park in the disc zone bays, within the same zone as their accommodation, with a correctly validated scratchcard for four days.
Scratchcards are available on request form the Holiday Accommodation, from the Customer First Centre. Proof of the operation of the holiday accommodation is required e.g. Business Rates. scratchcards cost £1.60 each.
How to validate the scratchcard
- Scratch off the panels to indicate the day, month and year of arrival. Also complete the registration number on the front of the scratchcard, and the name of the holiday accommodation being visited.
- Only the date of arrival should be scratched off the permit. If the permit is to be used over four days (yellow scratchcard), the Civil Enforcement Officer will see it is still valid when the arrival date is scratched off.
- If more than one date is scratched off the permit, it becomes invalid and the vehicle is liable to being issued with a Penalty Charge Notice.
- The scratchcard must be clearly displayed in a prominent position so that all sections are visible to a Civil Enforcement Officer.
- scratchcards are only valid when used by persons visiting the holiday accommodation; they are not valid for staff parking.
- scratchcards are not valid in any of the Council’s off street pay and display car parks, marked disabled bays or loading bays. The scratchcard is only valid in the zone indicated on the front of the permit.
Whitby, Filey and Scarborough non disc zone permits
For holiday accommodation which is situated in Scarborough but out of the disc zone areas or is in Filey or Whitby, guests can purchase a 2-7 day long-stay car park permit.
These permits are available from the Tourist Information Centres in the Borough and can be purchased in advance or on arrival.
The 2-7 day long stay car park permit costs £7.00 per day and can be used for 2 to 7 days.
They are valid in all long stay car parks borough wide.
William Street ,
Castle Road (excluding July and August),
South Bay Underground,
Royal Albert Drive,
Country Park ,
Staithes Bank Top,
Runswick Bay Bank Bottom (not the residents only area),
Robin Hoods Bay Bank Top,
Robin Hoods Bay Station.
Important Information regarding sale of scratch cards
- Do not blank out or otherwise cover the face value of the card.
- If you add a charge to the original cost of the card, make that clear to purchasers in advance.
- If you advertise the cards on your website, display any additional charges clearly on the site.
- Do not sell cards to anyone who is not a guest in your holiday accommodation.