The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the Data Protection Act 2018 (DPA) place various duties and responsibilities on us, Scarborough Borough Council, when processing personal information. The GDPR and the DPA also create legal rights for individuals in respect of personal information held and processed by us. Full details about the types of personal data we collect, and how we collect, use, share, secure and retain it can be found in our Privacy Notice.
Our overarching approach to ensuring compliance with the GDPR and the DPA, and other corresponding legislation can be found in our Data Protection Policy.
We will ensure that information is not kept longer than is necessary and will retain the minimum amount of information that is required to carry out our statutory functions and the provision of services.
Privacy notices for council services
- Bereavement Services
- Commercial Regulation and Licensing
- Complaints and Enquires
- Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Council Tax and Business Rates
- Environmental Enforcement, including Dog Wardens
- Evron Centre and Falsgrave Community Resource Centre
- Filey Brigg Camping and Caravan Site
- Forward Planning
- Homelessness and Housing Options
- Human Resources and Employee privacy notice
- Parking Services
- Planning Services
- Refuse Collection and Recycling Services
Your legal rights
If you wish to exercise any of these rights you can make a request by:
- Telephoning the Customer First team on 01723 232323
- Downloading and printing the relevant form below. When completed this can be sent by post or email to the Data Protection Officer (details below).
In order to process any requests we will first need to verify your identity.
You have the right to:
- Request access to your personal data (commonly known as a “data subject access request”). This enables you to receive a copy of the personal data we hold about you and to check that we are lawfully processing it. Access Request Form (PDF, 375KB)
- Request correction of the personal data that we hold about you. This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate data we hold about you corrected, though we may need to verify the accuracy of the new data you provide to us. Correction Request Form (PDF, 348KB)
- Request erasure of your personal data. This enables you to ask us to delete or remove personal data where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it. Erasure Request Form (PDF, 375KB)
- Object to processing of your personal data where we are relying on a legitimate interest (or those of a third party) and there is something about your particular situation which makes you want to object to processing on this ground as you feel it impacts on your fundamental rights and freedoms. Objection Request Form (PDF, 361KB)
- Request restriction of processing of your personal data. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of your personal data under certain circumstances. Restriction Request Form (PDF, 262KB)
- Request the transfer of your personal data to you or to a third party. We will provide to you, or a third party you have chosen, your personal data in a structured, commonly used, machine-readable format. Transfer Request Form (PDF, 364KB)
- Withdraw consent at any time where we are relying on consent to process your personal data.
As a public body, in order to comply with GDPR and the Data Protection Act 2018, Scarborough Borough Council is required to have a dedicated Data Protection Officer (DPO).
The DPO can be contacted at:
Telephone: 01723 232323
Post: Town Hall, St Nicholas Street, Scarborough, North Yorkshire YO11 2HG