We receive a number of requests for information about business rates accounts (non-domestic properties). In response, we now publish data on:
- Accounts in credit and accounts with write-ons
- All reliefs
- All properties including start date
We will publish this information on a quarterly basis. We will not provide individual responses to requests during the year for similar information but will redirect requests to our published list of reports held on our website.
Limitations on data
Ratepayers’ details are only provided for limited companies and not for individuals (sole traders, partnerships, etc). We consider data for individuals is exempt from disclosure under section 40(2) of the FOIA as it is third party personal information.
- The ratepayer is the person liable to pay the charge. In many cases this is a leaseholder and not an owner. It is not possible to identify the owners from our records.
- Account references are not included as these are personal to the account and are used to ensure that a ratepayer is actually the account holder when they contact the council.
- We do not provide details of empty properties as we consider this information to be exempt under Section 31(1)(a) – Law Enforcement as empty properties are vulnerable to crime and anti-social behaviour.