What is Housing Benefit?

If you rent your home from a private or a social landlord and you are on a low income whether in or out of work then you may be able to claim Housing Benefit to help towards your housing costs.

Housing Benefit is means tested.  We take into account things like:

  • your income (and your partner’s if you have one)
  • savings
  • if anyone else lives with you
  • personal circumstances
  • whether you rent from a private or a social landlord
  • whether you have any empty rooms

You can use the benefits advisor on GOV.UK to find out how much Housing Benefit you may get.

First, check your eligibility for Universal Credit which replaces Housing Benefit for some customers. If you're not sure check with Jobcentre Plus or contact us.

Housing Benefit does not help with Council Tax but you may qualify for Local Support for Council Tax.  We will work this out at the same time for you.

Apply for Housing Benefit.