Homelessness potentially vulnerable groups

On 1 April the single new council for North Yorkshire launched replacing Scarborough Borough Council and other local authorites in North Yorkshire.

To find your Councillor or to view minutes, meetings and agendas please visit the North Yorkshire Council website.

Leaving care

If you are a care leaver, you will have a leaving care worker. They will help you to secure accommodation. The Young People’s Pathway can help you. 

Leaving prison

Shelter may provide a service at the prison. They will be able to help and make referrals.

If Shelter do not operate in the prison, then the prisoner should write to us. Provide details on previous accommodation, release date and any details of physical/mental health. 

Leaving the armed forces

If you are leaving the armed forces or are ex-armed forces facing homelessness, please get in touch with us as soon as possible. We will try to assist and make referrals to other relevant agencies that may be able to assist also, such as The First Light Trust.

Leaving an abusive relationship

If you have fled a physically or mentally abusive relationship we can look to assist you with your rehousing needs. We would also refer you to other agencies who can assist such as IDAS locally. If you are in a relationship and feel at risk at any point, dial 999.

Leaving hospital

If you are in hospital and are aware that when you are discharged, you will not have a home to return to, or will no longer be able to access your existing home, you should contact the discharge liaison nurse at the hospital as soon as possible. They will then be able to contact us on your behalf in order for an assessment to be arranged so that we can see how your needs can be met in the most effective way.

Mental health services

If you are homeless or threatened with homelessness and believe that you have mental health problems, you should contact your GP and ask for a referral to mental health services. You should also contact us so that we can help you with your housing problems. If you have been referred to mental health services or are already working with them, we can work with them to try to help you.

Contact the Housing Options Team

Email; housingoptions@scarborough.gov.uk

Tel; 01723 232323