Disabled facilities grants help disabled and elderly people to live more comfortably and independently in their own home.
A disabled facilities grant can be used to:
- make it easier for you to get in and out of your home
- make access to your living room, bedroom, kitchen or bathroom easier
- provide suitable bathroom, sleeping and kitchen facilities that meet your needs
- adapt heating and lighting controls for ease of use
- provide you with adequate heating to meet you medical condition
- make your home safer
Assessing your needs
North Yorkshire County Council will visit your home to assess your needs. Depending on the outcome, a referral may be made to the Home Improvement Agency and we will then assess the work, obtain quotations, approve grant applications and oversee the adaptation process.
Means-tested grants of up to £30,000 are available to home owners and tenants to enable the recommended adaptations to take place.
If you fail to qualify, we can still support you through the adaptation process.