The overview and scrutiny function lends greater transparency and accountability to councils’ decision-making by:
- Publicly holding the council’s executive (the cabinet) to account
- Examining matters of wider public interest
- Contributing to policy review and development
Following a review of the council’s governance and in accordance with best practice, the council has recently adopted a clearer and more focused approach to scrutiny centred on a single commissioning body, the Overview and Scrutiny Board.
In addition to identifying and scoping topics for review (and then commissioning task groups of councillors to carry them out), the board acts as an important public forum to consider new council policies, to investigate areas of underperformance, and if necessary to review cabinet decisions before they are implemented.
- Notice of private meeting - 6 March 2019
- Notice of private meeting - Cabinet 11 December 2018
- Notice of private meeting - Cabinet 13 November 2018
- Key Decision notice to O&S chair Cabinet 8 October 2018
- Key Decision notice to O&S chair Commercial Director 17 September 2018
- Notice of private meeting - 17 September 2018
- Key Decision notice to O&S chair Cabinet 12 June 2018
- Key Decision notice to O&S chair Cabinet 13 March 2018
Overview and Scrutiny Guidance
|8 - Overview and Scrutiny Protocol||136.5 KB|