In addition to LSCT the council can award extra financial assistance to customers unable to pay their council tax.
EHPs can be awarded on the basis of hardship and are a short-term, emergency award.
EHPs can be considered where the customer:
- has to pay council tax, and
- is in receipt of LSCT, and
- is in need of further financial assistance
EHPs cannot be used to cover:
- unpaid council tax prior to April 2013
- sanctions/reductions in benefits
- court costs/recovery costs/penalty charges
To apply for an EHP we will need you to tell us about your situation, household and financial circumstances and why you are unable to pay your council tax bill.
Exceptional Hardship Payment form >
Or you can write to us at the Benefits Office, PO Box 148, Town Hall, St Nicholas Street, Scarborough, YO11 2ZH.