Disabled band reduction

On 1 April the single new council for North Yorkshire launched replacing Scarborough Borough Council and other local authorites in North Yorkshire.

To find your Councillor or to view minutes, meetings and agendas please visit the North Yorkshire Council website.

Your bill may be reduced if a permanently disabled person (whether an adult or child) lives in the dwelling.

Your dwelling must have certain features which are essential or of major importance to the well being of the disabled person.

These features are:
  • A room other than a bathroom, kitchen or toilet which is used mainly by the disabled person.
  • An additional bathroom or kitchen for the use of the disabled person.
  • Extra space inside the dwelling for the use of a wheelchair.
When considering whether a reduction should apply, the Council have to decide whether the person with the disability would find it impossible or extremely difficult to live in the dwelling, or whether their health would suffer, or the disability become more severe, if the extra feature were not available in the dwelling.
To qualify for a reduction, the extra room need not be specially built, but can be an existing room used specifically for the person with the disability.
If your home is eligible, your bill will be reduced to that of a property in the valuation band immediately below the band shown on the valuation list.
For example, if your home is in band D, your bill will be reduced to that for a band C dwelling. This will not, however, affect the value of your home or its banding on the valuation list. In this example, it would still be shown as band D on the valuation list. If your property is in Band A and satisfies the criteria above you may be entitled to a reduction in your council tax equivalent to one band below the band A rate (i.e. 5/9ths of band D instead of the normal rate of 6/9ths of band D).
If you wish to apply for this reduction or would just like some more information then please contact the Local Taxation section on (01723) 232378 or by e-mailing local.taxation@scarborough.gov.uk or


You will be required to supply additional confirmation from a doctor, occupational therapist or social worker that the resident needs the adaptations or facilities that you have listed and that there is a link between the specific adaptation and their disability. Please try to supply this with your application to help us deal with your application quickly.