In November 2019, the Ministry of Homes, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG) announced that Scarborough and Whitby had been identified as two of 101 towns in England that they wish to work with to develop Town Investment Plans and bid for a share of the Government’s £3.6bn Towns Fund.
A Town Deal board for each town, made up of representatives from different local organisations in the public, private and voluntary sectors, was set up to consider proposals, develop Town Investment Plans and ensure both Whitby and Scarborough submitted a bid to the Government’s Towns Fund by autumn 2020.
Following 10 months of engagement and analysis, a Town Investment Plan (TIP) for each town was created, backed by their respective Town Deal boards, to help deliver long term economic growth and make a significant contribution towards Building a Better Borough, the council’s recently announced programme to deliver better outcomes for communities throughout the Borough of Scarborough.
The TIPs cover themes such as skills and enterprise, cultural activities, the environment, connectivity, well-being and sustainability. It is hoped that the package of ideas will also help the towns recover from the impacts of COVID-19.
On the 3 March 2021, Government announced that Scarborough had been successful in securing £20.2m of Town Deal funding, and Whitby £17.1m of Town Deal funding in support of delivering the respective TIPs.
The following projects from the TIPs were chosen to be delivered as part of the Town Deals;
- Green Construction Skills Village
- Improving Scarborough Cricket Club
- Scarborough Fair
- Scarborough Harbour West Pier Regeneration
- Scarborough Local Cycling & Walking Infrastructure (Cinder Track Improvements)
- Scarborough Nature Tourism (Wild Eye)
- Scarborough Station Gateway
- Broomfields Farm Zero Carbon Living
- Eastside Community Hub
- Old Town Hall and Market Place
- Harbourside public realm improvements and pedestrianisation of Whitby Swingbridge
- Wayfinding and Gamification
- Whitby Maritime Training Hub
Whitby Boxing Club receive the keys to their new home
We are delighted to announce that phase one of the Eastside Community Hub is complete and this week saw Whitby Boxing Club receiving the keys to their new training gym off Abbotts Road, Whitby. Phase 2, the extension to the community centre, is well under way and will open in the new year.
Planning permission secured for Scarborough Cricket Clubs' West Stand redevelopment
The plans for the redevelopment of the West Stand at the Clubs North Marine Road ground were approved by the Borough Council on 4 October 2022. The plans will see the area underneath the stand reconfigured to provide a new bar and cafe area which will front face onto the grounds, a multi faith room, meeting room and a heritage room. It will also see the replacement of the wooden seating, full refurbishment of the toilet facilities with the creation of a changing places room and new storage for grounds equipment. It is hoped work will begin on site early in the new year following the appointment of a contractor.
Scarborough Borough Council has appointed contractors to help deliver Station Gateway and Fablab Towns Deal projects.
Tilbury Douglas have been appointed for the two stage design and build contract for Station Gateway Public Realm project creating a stunning public square and highway improvements.
Wilmott Dixon (WD) has been appointed to develop Fablab and Pavilion House providing new employment opportunities and a digital industry hub. They will be developing the concept and spatial designs for the project.
Where possible both projects will use local construction companies, material suppliers and employing local skill.
Town Deal business cases
In order to release Towns Deal funding each project was required to produce a business case to demonstrate value for money; that the project is affordable and can be delivered. All business cases have passed through local assurance mechanisms with oversight from the Town Deal boards. The Department of Levelling Up, Housing and Communities has now approved all the projects, releasing the funding. Please see the link for the individual business cases below:
- Broomfields Farm Net Zero Living Redacted Full Business Case (PDF, 7MB)
- Eastside Community Hub Redacted Full Business Case (PDF, 6.5MB)
- Green Construction Skills Village Redacted Full Business Case (PDF, 10MB)
- Old Town Hall and Market Place Redacted Full Business Case (PDF, 1.5MB)
- Scarborough Cricket Club Redacted Full Business Case PDF, 4MB)
- Scarborough Fab Lab + Redacted Full Business Case (PDF, 3MB)
- Scarborough Fair Redacted Full Business Case (PDF, 2MB)
- Scarborough Harbour West Pier Redacted Full Business Case (PDF, 2MB)
- Scarborough Station Gateway Redacted Full Business Case (PDF, 1.7MB)
- SLCWIP_Cinder Track Connections Redacted Full Business Case (PDF, 45MB)
- Whitby Maritime Training Hub Redacted Full Business Case (PDF, 10.3MB)
- Whitby Swingbridge Redacted Full Business Case (PDF, 3MB)
- Whitby Way Finding Redacted Full Business Case (PDF, 1.7MB)
- Wild Eye Redcated Full Business Case (PDF, 2.5MB)
Town Deal board
A Town Deal board was established for each town bringing together the private, public and voluntary sectors to provide strategic leadership to develop and deliver the respective Town Investment Plans which set out a clear understanding of the area; focusing on its assets, opportunities and challenges.
The role of each board is to:
- Oversee the delivery of their respective Town Investment Plan
- Ensure the programme of interventions within the Town Investment Plans are managed and delivered effectively
- Co-ordinate resources and engage stakeholders where required
To view the membership of the Boards and minutes from the meetings please follow the below links;