Hypnotism authorisation

On 1 April the single new council for North Yorkshire launched replacing Scarborough Borough Council and other local authorites in North Yorkshire.

To find your Councillor or to view minutes, meetings and agendas please visit the North Yorkshire Council website.

If you wish to show, demonstrate or perform a hypnotism act in public, you must have authorisation from the local authority in England and Wales.

Any exhibition, demonstration or performance of hypnotism (“the performance”) on any person requires the express written consent of the Licensing Authority and must comply with any attached conditions. The Authority may consent to an act of hypnotism under the provisions of the Hypnotism Act 1952.

Apply for a hypnotism permit >

Will tacit consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact us on 01723 232323.

Failed application & licence holder redress

Please contact the Licensing Authority in the first instance.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other redress

E.g. about noise, pollution, etc. Also should one licence holder complain about another.

Trade associations

PDF icon Hypnotism Application Form57.9 KB