House to house collection permits

Permission must be granted by the local authority before a house to house collection can take place. Application should be made to the local authority with sufficient notice prior to the date on which the collection is due to take place.


House to House collections for charitable, benevolent or philanthropic purposes are required to be licensed by the Licensing Authority which is Scarborough Borough Council.  House to House collections involves the collection of money, clothing or household items from house to house.

Collections generally take place from door to door. Some of the larger well-known charities such as Christian Aid, Help the Aged etc, have a Charity Commission exemption from having to apply for a a licence, but by and large most of the smaller, and particularly local groups and organisations need a permit before they can collect money (or articles which they intend to sell later), from door to door.

Wherever possible, two or more organisations shall not be permitted to collect in the same area on the same day. All applications will be dealt with on a first come first served basis.

In general, organisations shall not be permitted to hold more than four collections throughout the District or part thereof during one calendar year. In addition licences shall normally be issued for a maximum period of one week.

Application procedure

The Licensing Authority operates a diary system to administer collections; therefore the applicant is encouraged to contact the Licensing Authority before submitting an application in order to check the available dates for any collection. Dates cannot however be reserved.