Environmental permits

You must have an environmental permit if you operate a regulated facility in England or Wales.

A regulated facility includes:

  • installations or mobile plants carrying out listed activities
  • waste operations
  • waste mobile plant
  • mining waste operations

Listed activities include:

  • energy – burning fuel, gasification, liquefaction and refining activities
  • metals – manufacturing and processing metals
  • minerals – manufacturing lime, cement, ceramics or glass
  • chemicals – manufacturing chemicals, pharmaceuticals or explosives, storing chemicals in bulk
  • waste – incinerating waste, operating landfills, recovering waste
  • solvents – using solvents
  • other – manufacturing paper, pulp and board, treating timber products, coating, treating textiles and printing, manufacturing new tyres, intensive pig and poultry farming

Listed activities are divided into 3 categories: Part A(1), Part A(2) and Part B:

Part A permits

Part A permits control activities with a range of environmental impacts, including:

  • emissions to air, land and water
  • energy efficiency
  • waste reduction
  • raw materials consumption
  • noise, vibration and heat
  • accident prevention

Part B permits

Part B permits control activities which cause emissions to air.

The permit your business requires depends on the specific processes involved and resulting emissions.

Request a permit

Permits are available from the Environment Agency or ourselves (the regulator) depending upon the category your business falls within:

  • part A(1) installations or mobile plants are regulated by the Environment Agency
  • part A(2) and Part B installations or mobile plants are regulated by the local authority, except waste operations carried out at part B installations which are regulated by the Environment Agency
  • waste operations or waste mobile plant carried on other than at an installation, or by Part A or Part B mobile plants, are regulated by the Environment Agency
  • mining waste operations are regulated by the Environment Agency 

To apply for a permit or for more information, please call us on 01723 232323. Ask to speak to Environmental Health about an environmental permit.

Fees and charges

View our contaminated land and E-Permit fees