The main objective for awarding the grant will be that the business will be creating new jobs and meets with the Council’s key priorities and objectives which are listed below.
Grant applications will be considered on a quarterly basis. The application deadlines for the 2019/20 financial year are;
29th May 2020
28th August 2020
27th November 2020
26th February 2021
Please ensure any applications have all the relevant supporting information attached as requested on the application form. Failure to provide these documents will prevent the application from been considered.
Start-up grants are targeted at new start-ups and businesses less than 18 months old with no more than 10 employees. Applications can be made for assistance towards the cost of necessary equipment and machinery (excluding vehicles and consumables e.g. stationery), the extension, adaptation or improvement of facilities within the premises and marketing, where it forms part of a promotional programme which is likely to lead to new jobs.
The maximum amount of grant assistance is up to £1,000 to any one concern in any one financial year.
Business expansion grants
The maximum amount of grant assistance is up to £5,000 to any one concern in any one financial year.
Council’s priorities and objectives
- New jobs created
- Increased educational attainment
- Enhance cultural provision
- Diversify economic base of the area
- Enhance tourism sector to increase visitor expenditure
- Target action within economically and socially disadvantaged areas
- Reduction in welfare dependency
- Enhance environment
- Improve connectivity / create technologically smart towns
- Improve skills and educational attainment
- You may only apply for assistance under either the Business Start-Up or Business Expansion scheme
- Any grant awarded will be for 50% of expenditure within the limits of the grant amount. E.g. If you are awarded a grant of £500, you would need to spend £1000 to claim back the £500 grant
- Grants are claimed back retrospectively by submitting receipts/invoices and copy bank statements detailing the eligible expenditure
- Applicants with outstanding liabilities to Scarborough Borough Council cannot be considered for a Business Grant.
- Grants are awarded at the absolute discretion of Scarborough Borough Council
For full details of the eligibility criteria and a list of the conditions for this grant scheme, please refer to the application form below or contact the Regeneration Service on 01723 232325 if you are unsure if you will be eligible to apply.All potential applicants must seek the services of a business advisor prior to submitting an application. Scarborough Borough Council works with Scarborough Jobmatch who have a team of business advisors available to provide pre-start support, and ongoing assistance, which addresses the barriers that prevent individuals from starting or expanding a business.