Food business registration

UK law requires registration of premises used for a food business (including market stalls, delivery vehicles and other moveable structures).

Registration allows local authorities to keep an up-to-date list of all those premises in their area so they can visit them when they need to. The frequency of the visits will depend on the type of business.

Who needs to register?

If you run a food business you must tell (or arrange for someone else to tell) the local authority about any premises you use for storing, selling, distributing or preparing food.
Food premises includes:
  • restaurants
  • hotels
  • cafés
  • shops
  • supermarkets
  • staff canteens
  • kitchens in offices
  • warehouses
  • guest houses
  • hot dog and ice cream vans, etc
If you use vehicles for your food business in connection with permanent premises such as a shop, or warehouse, you only need to tell the local authority how many vehicles you have. You do not need to register each vehicle separately. If you have one or more vehicles but no permanent premises, you must tell the authority where they are normally kept.
Anyone starting a new food business must register with the local authority at least 28 days before doing so.
If you are proposing to manufacture products containing ingredients of animal origin (eg raw milk, raw meat, raw eggs or raw fish) you will need EC approval from us

How do I register?

Register a food business >

What happens to the information given on the form?

The local authority will enter the details on its Register. A register of addresses and the type of business carried on at these will be open to inspection by the general public. Records of the other information provided will not be publicly available and subject to Freedom of Information and Data Protection legislation will not be disclosed outside of Scarborough Borough Council, Local Government Departments and Government Agencies.  The details will be used for the purpose of registration, enforcement and the protection of public funds.

What about changes?

Once you have registered with the local authority, you only need to notify them of a change of proprietor, if the nature of the business changes, or if there is a change of the address at which moveable premises are kept. The new proprietor will have to complete an application form. If the local authority wishes to change the entry in the Register because of information which it receives from someone else, you will be given 28 days notice and an opportunity to comment on the proposed change.