Universal Credit

On 1 April the single new council for North Yorkshire launched replacing Scarborough Borough Council and other local authorites in North Yorkshire.

To find your Councillor or to view minutes, meetings and agendas please visit the North Yorkshire Council website.

Universal Credit is a Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) benefit and is delivered by the Jobcentre Plus. It is for people in or out of work and replaces the following six benefits with one simple monthly payment:

  • Income Support
  • Income based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit

Universal Credit is not paid by Scarborough Borough Council, but our Benefits team will be able to advise you whether you can claim Universal Credit.

Universal Credit does not replace Local Support for Council Tax. If you need help with your Council Tax, please see our Local Support for Council Tax page.

Are you eligible to claim Universal Credit?

You can check if you're eligible to claim Universal Credit here.

If you meet the criteria, then you should claim Universal Credit online. The single monthly payment of Universal Credit will include any housing costs that would previously have been paid by Housing Benefit. This means that you must make your own arrangements to pay your rent with your landlord. 

If you do not meet the criteria you need to claim the benefits relevant to you at your local Jobcentre Plus and claim Housing Benefit / Local Support for Council Tax from the council. 

You’ll still need to claim Housing Benefit if you:

  • live in supported or temporary accommodation; or
  • are of pension age

Making a claim for Universal Credit

Before you make your claim online make sure you have the following details at hand:

  • Your email address
  • Proof of your identity
  • Your National Insurance number
  • Details of the account you want Universal Credit paid into
  • Details of all capital and savings that you have
  • Details of any income you receive not from employment
  • Details of any benefits you receive
  • Your rent agreement

Apply for Universal Credit >

Help with applying for Universal Credit

From the 1 April 2019 Citizens Advice have taken over the role of helping customers apply for Universal Credit. 

Scarborough Citizens Advice is located at:

4 Elders Street
YO11 1DZ

You will still be able to use the self-service computers in Customer First to access your online  journal or to apply for Universal Credit yourself.

Access to a computer

If you don't have a way to get online, you can access a computer at the following places:

Digital resources in the Scarborough area (PDF File, 200KB)

Discretionary Housing Payments and Universal Credit

If you receive the housing element of Universal Credit but still need help with the shortfall in your rent then you may be able to apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment.   

Other support with Universal Credit

The Money Advice Service can give you advice on opening a basic bank account and with budgeting.

More information on Universal Credit.

Information for landlords

Universal Credit will include a housing cost element which will be paid direct to your tenant.  This means your tenant will need to effectively manage their money and budget accordingly. 

The Money Advice Service provides information and advice for landlords whose tenants receive Universal Credit.

Any concerns regarding your tenant not being able to pay their rent will need to be directed to the Department for Work and Pensions.