Holiday let refuse collection

On 1 April the single new council for North Yorkshire launched replacing Scarborough Borough Council and other local authorites in North Yorkshire.

To find your Councillor or to view minutes, meetings and agendas please visit the North Yorkshire Council website.

Under the Environmental Protection Act (1990), all businesses (including those operating from home), have a legal responsibility to safely contain and dispose of any waste produced as a result of their business. This legal responsibility includes holiday let properties.

You have several options available to you for the collection and disposal of your holiday accommodation waste (all prices are exempt from VAT):

Option 1: Chargeable domestic collections for holiday let accommodation

  • Annual standard fixed charge for the year (April to March). This is the standard residential service of alternate refuse and recycling collections.

Option 2: Request a bespoke commercial waste quote

Option 3: Commercial waste collection from an alternative supplier

Waste collection for holiday lets form >

Terms and conditions

View our holiday lets terms and conditions

Accepting our waste transfer note

For removal of non-hazardous waste from your premises you need a waste transfer note.  This note covers the storage of waste on premises as well as its safe collection and disposal.  Once you have paid for Chargeable Domestic Collections, to fulfil your legal duties, you must complete the waste transfer note online or return a signed copy by post. 

Complete your WTN online >

Postal address:

Commercial Services
Town Hall
St. Nicholas Street
YO11 2HG

Our terms and conditions still apply should you not return our waste transfer note. 

Small Business Rate Relief and waste collections

Business owners have a legal duty to ensure that their waste is disposed of via a licensed waste carrier, and they retain a valid Waste Transfer Note as evidence of these arrangements for each business property. By not complying with this, you are at risk of a fixed penalty notice of £400 or criminal prosecution.  

Chargeable Domestic Collections is a cost efficient and year round service which Business Rated Holiday Let accommodation can utilize. 

In line with a national effort to increase recycling and to stop the fly tipping of waste, we will request evidence of your collection and disposal arrangements for your business waste.  This evidence is a Waste Transfer Note (WTN), which is a legal document issued by a licensed waste carrier who makes collections on your behalf. 


We have different arrangements in place for registered charities. Contact Customer First or submit an online request to review the arrangements you currently have in place.

Seasonal and small holiday lets

All businesses, regardless of their size or the volume of waste they produce, are required to have a valid waste agreement in place with a licensed service provider. 

There are no exemptions from the legal duty, based on smaller quantities of waste being produced.

All businesses must keep their Waste Transfer Note as evidence of their arrangements for at least 2 years and provide it to us upon request. 

The charge for our Standard Domestic Collection is a fixed annual charge, however, if your property is only available for letting for a part of the year, you may find a seasonal Commercial Waste Contract is more suitable. Contact Customer First for more information or to request a personalised quote. 

Seasonal Commercial Waste Contracts are only available to businesses that let and advertise their property on a seasonal basis.

Multiple holiday lets

If you have a number of holiday lets or business premises that are adjacent to each other or within the same building, we will need to consider your requirements. 

If you require multiple bins or a larger sized bin you can opt for a bespoke Commercial Waste Contract. 

Contact Customer First or submit an online request to review the arrangements you currently have in place.

Waste recycling centres and fly tipping

If you prefer to take your business waste to a local waste recycling centre, you will need to register as a licensed waste carrier with the Environment Agency and obtain a Waste Transfer Note from North Yorkshire County Council each time you go to the tip and provide this to us.  You will also need to ensure that you pay for the waste, as it has not been produced at a residential property.

Fly tipping is a serious criminal offence. If you fly tip, or your waste is collected by an unauthorised waste carrier, and is then subsequently found to be fly tipped, you are still responsible. You could face a heavy fine and a criminal record.

Collection days

  • Option 1: If you use our Standard Domestic Collections, then your collection day will not change, and it will continue to be collected by our domestic refuse team. 
  • Option 2: We may collect rubbish from your holiday let on a different day, but we will try to fit around your preference. 

If you're a Commercial Waste customer, we collect up to 7 days a week, multiple times a day.

Sacks and Bins

If you opt for our standard collection service, sacks will continue to be provided where bins are not appropriate. 

If you have one of our bins at your property, you're responsible for the safe storage and correct use of them. Bins remain the property of Scarborough Borough Council and any lost or stolen bins are subject to a charge. 

Order a new bin >

Cancelling standard holiday let collections

You can cancel your Standard Holiday Let collections at any time. However, no refunds can be made, any bins that we own will be removed from your property and you will be removed from the domestic bin round.

If you would like to re-subscribe to standard holiday let collections service, there is a charge for the delivery of each bin and there may be a delay in the commencement of your collections. 

If you buy or sell a property part way through a year your charge will be reduced based on the number of months you owned the property. If you pay in full and sell the property, then a partial refund may be available on request. This is the only circumstance that a refund can be made, and a refund must be requested by Contacting Customer First after the sale has completed.

Reporting a missed domestic collection

To report a missed collection at a property on chargeable domestic collections for holiday let accommodation please use the form below. You can only report a missed collection once you have subscribed and paid for the service.

Report a missed domestic collection form >