Garden waste

On 1 April the single new council for North Yorkshire launched replacing Scarborough Borough Council and other local authorites in North Yorkshire.

To find your Councillor or to view minutes, meetings and agendas please visit the North Yorkshire Council website.

2023 Collection season

The new collection season starts on 27 February 2023 to 1 December 2023.

Garden waste licenses are only valid for the season that they are purchased in. A new license will be required to participate in the 2023 scheme.

Pay for garden waste collection online >


The charge for the garden waste service this year is £43.50, but this is currently discounted to £38 if purchased before 1st April 2023.

Next steps

Once you've subscribed, you'll receive email confirmation of your collection dates and within 48 hours your property will be added to our active subscribers list. 

If you're a new to the scheme, you will receive a sticker to go on your bin which will arrive in the post and must be attached to your bin to enable our collection staff to identify that you have subscribed. If you use our garden waste sacks, then you will not receive a sticker.

Our crews then work off a customer list in the cab ensuring only subscribers receive collections. To prevent your bin being missed it is important to attach your sticker on the back of the bin under the handles as soon as it arrives.

Read the full terms and conditions

How to attach your garden waste licence


Why do you charge for this?

Garden waste collections are not a service that we have to provide. The only way to safeguard the long-term viability of this service is to implement an annual charge. Many local authorities charge for garden waste.

Are there any exemptions or concessions?

There are no exemptions or concessions.

Can I have more than one bin?

Yes, you just need to purchase a licence for each bin.

How long will it take to get my licence?

You will receive your licence within 7 days of making your payment.

Can I join the scheme midway through the year?

Yes, it costs the same at any point during the year so to make the best use of your subscription it is best to sign up early.

What happens after the garden waste is collected?

We pay two local processors to compost the material.

What happens if I move house?

If you move house during the season, a new garden waste license is required for your new property.

Can I share my brown bin with my neighbour?

Yes, though it will need to be bought for and registered at one address.

Can I continue to use the sacks I have already bought?

So long as they are SBC Garden waste sacks you may use them, providing you have purchased a licence.

What if my licence is lost, stolen or damaged?

Contact us as soon as possible for a replacement.

What are my other options if I don’t want to subscribe?

You can purchase a home composter or leave your grass clippings on the lawn. You can take garden waste free of charge to any of North Yorkshire County Council’s Household Waste Recycling Centres.

Yes No
Grass cuttings Rubble
Leaves Soil
Shrubs Fruit and veg peelings
Weeds and bedding plants Food waste
Hedge trimmings and prunings less than 1" (25mm) diameter Wood