Personal licence application

A personal licence allows an individual to be a Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) at a licensed premise that sells or supplies alcohol. 

Applicants must not be under 18 years of age, and not had a Personal licence forfeited within the last five years. You must also hold an accredited licensing qualification and must declare any convictions for any relevant or foreign offence.

You must have the legal right to work in the UK in order to hold a Personal Licence, proof of which will be required.

Personal Licences are issued directly to the person applying for them, and are not transferrable. Once you have obtained one, you are free to work at any premises which are subject to a Premises Licence authorising the sale / supply of alcohol, anywhere in England or Wales. You may only hold one Personal Licence at any time, which will be valid for the whole of your lifetime, but may be revoked if you are convicted of a relevant criminal offence, have to pay an immigration penalty, or are found to have given incorrect or misleading information in your application. Licences will also lapse automatically if your right to work in the UK expires or is revoked.

Immigration checks

The Immigration Act 2016 has introduced measures to prevent illegal working in the alcohol and late night refreshment sector. The provisions commence on 6 April 2017.

Our application forms have been updated and applicants must now provide evidence of their eligibility to work. A list of all acceptable documents is included within the forms and copies must be submitted to the Licensing Department together with the application form.


£37.00 payable with the relevant forms (below).

Application, guidance notes or terms and conditions

This application should be made to the Local Authority in which the applicant lives, not to the Authority in which the licensed premise is located. Before making your application, check your postcode to see which council you should apply to.

Application and guidance notes

Processing and timescales

We may consult the following bodies about your application:

  • North Yorkshire Police, if you have any unspent convictions for relevant or foreign offences
  • The Home Office, if you have been required to pay a civil immigration penalty or if your right to work in the UK is not clear.

Both body may object to your application, and if they do, your application will be decided at a hearing by our Licensing Sub-Committee.

If the Police/Home Office do not object to the application and the applicant fulfils the criteria, the licence will be granted.


View the public register


Contact us in the first instance.

PDF icon Personal licence application pack181.59 KB