Minor variation - premises licence

On 1 April the single new council for North Yorkshire launched replacing Scarborough Borough Council and other local authorites in North Yorkshire.

To find your Councillor or to view minutes, meetings and agendas please visit the North Yorkshire Council website.

Small changes to your premises may be made via the minor variation process, which is easier and quicker than the full variation process.

The process may be used for changes such as:

  • small changes to the structure or layout of a premises;
  • the addition of authorisation for late night refreshment or regulated entertainment (such as performance of plays or film exhibitions);
  • small changes to licensing hours (but see below on changes that relate to alcohol);
  • revisions, removals and additions of conditions (this could include the removal or amendment of out of date, irrelevant or unenforceable conditions, or the addition of volunteered conditions).

The Minor Variations process cannot be used to:

  • add the retail or supply of alcohol to a licence
  • extend licensing hours for the sale or supply of alcohol at any time between 11pm and 7am;
  • increase the amount of time on any day during which alcohol may be sold by retail or supplied;
  • extend the period for which the licence or certificate has effect;
  • transfer the licence from one premises to another, or vary substantially the premises to which it relates
  • specify, in a premises licence, an individual as the premises supervisor;
  • add the sale by retail or supply of alcohol as an activity authorised by a licence or certificate; or
  • disapply the mandatory conditions relating to a designated premises supervisor (there is a separate process by which community premises can apply for this).

*You must also inform us if the registered address of the club changes*

You can read the full legislation here.

How to apply

You will need to supply:

  • plan of the premises (only required if the variation includes changes to the internal layout of the premises); and
  • the current licence
  • statutory notice - this must be printed and displayed on white paper

Apply for a minor variation

Processing and timescales

You must display a statutory notice at or near the premises, for at least 10 working days.

You do not need to place a public notice in a local newspaper for minor variations. If your application is refused and you subsequently apply for a full variation, a newspaper notice will form part of the requirements for that application.

You can operate as though the minor variation has been granted if you have not heard from us within 15 days of acknowledging the application; providing we received a full application and you received an acknowledgement from us.

The certificate shall be updated and re-issued within 28 days of the grant of the minor variation.

Validity and renewals

The certificate is valid whilst the premises is being used for licensable activities and is subject to an annual fee. The annual fee is due on the anniversary of the grant of the certificate, an invoice shall be sent to you.

If you do not want to use the premises for licensable activities please ensure you surrender the club premises certificate.


Contact us in the first instance. 

Please note that there are no grounds for appeal against decisions made with regard to minor variation applications.