Skip Navigation  |  Accessibility  |  Cookies  |  Legal  | Standard Text SizeLarge Text SizeLargest Text Size

Problems paying your Council Tax?

Always let us know

We want to help you pay your Council Tax and we may be able to come to a payment arrangement that you can afford. If you don't let us know that you are having difficulty making regular payments, you may incur further costs and charges which will have to be paid.


Citizens Advice Bureau

The CAB offers free debt advice. The service provided is both professional and confidential.

Elders Street
North Yorkshire
YO11 1DZ



Scarborough: 01723 368710 Reception Line
08444 111 444 Telephone Advice Line

Whitby: 01947 605157

Web site:


National Debtline

This is a national service providing free, confidential and independent advice by telephone.
National Debtline.
The Arch
48-52 Floodgate Street
B5 5SL
Tel: 0808 808 4000

Consumer Credit Counselling Service

If you are one of the growing numbers of people affected by problem debt, the Consumer Credit Counselling Service is a national charity that can help.

They will give you expert debt advice and if appropriate, they can arrange
a debt management plan for you.
Unlike debt management companies that charge for their services, CCCS don't - so there is no reason why you should ever have to pay for debt advice.
Wade House
Merrion Centre
West Yorkshire
Tel: Freefone 0800 138 1111

The Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Families Association

This is a national charity which helps service and ex-service men, women and their families in need.
SSAFA Forces Help
TA Centre
Worsley Barracks
Fulford Road
North Yorkshire
YO10 4HB
Tel: 01723 882282

Railway Benevolent Institution

A charity which assists active and retired railway people and their dependants in need.
7-11 Macon Court
Herald Drive
Tel: 01270 251316

The Yorkshire Water Community Trust

This is a trust which assists customers who have water rates arrears.
The Yorkshire Water Community Trust
Free post BD3074
Tel: 0845 1 24 24 26

Royal Agricultural Benevolent Institution

A charity which helps retired and working farmers and their families in need.
Shaw House
21 West Way
Tel: 01865 727888
Scarborough Borough Council,Town Hall, St Nicholas Street, Scarborough, North Yorkshire. YO11 2HG
Customer First Contact Centre
Gas Safety Week