Skip Navigation  |  Accessibility  |  Cookies  |  Legal  | Standard Text SizeLarge Text SizeLargest Text Size

Residents card

Residents card. Scarborough Borough Council launched the Residents Card and Concessionary User scheme on 30 March 2009.


Those with a Residents Card will be charged up to 20% less than non-card holders for using leisure facilities.


Concessionary users will be able to use facilities at a further reduced price and both schemes will include an option for priority booking at certain sites.


Am I a concessionary user?

Those eligible to apply to be a concessionary user include:


  • the unemployed
  • people receiving Working Family Tax Credit (full award only)
  • people receiving Child tax Credits (full award only)
  • young people receiving employment training
  • full time students
  • over 60s
  • people receiving Employment Support Allowance
  • people receiving Disability Living Allowance
  • people receiving Housing benefit


The new schemes will operate at the Scarborough Indoor Pool, Scarborough Sports and Tennis Centre, Whitby Leisure Centre, Pindar Leisure Centre* and Barons Leisure Centre


(* restricted access may apply).


Cards are free but an administration fee will be charged for replacement cards.

How do I get a residents card?

The cards can only be obtained by visiting one of the following sites in person, with proof of residency, either a council tax or energy bill.


If applying to be a concessionary user additional relevant evidence will be required. For further information please contact the sites listed below:



Q. When should I apply for a residents card?

During opening hours and at your convenience however to avoid queuing at reception please try not to apply at the beginning of a session.  


Q. How do children apply for a residents card?

Children can apply on their own or be accompanied by a parent or guardian, a photograph will be taken of each individual applying for a residents card.


Q. How do I know if I am eligible to apply for a residents card?

Residency applies to people that live within the Borough of Scarborough 


Q. I already have an old style membership card should I change this to a residents card?

Existing members will be classed as holding residency and your card will be updated to a new style residents card, 10/8 cards will be replaced with a residents card once the credits have expired.

Contact Details


Please note, the Residents Card will be ready to use at the facility where it was issued on the day of issue.  You will not be able to use it a any of the other sites until the following day.

A to Z of Services


Customer First
Town Hall
St Nicholas Street
North Yorkshire
YO11 2HG
Telephone: 01723 232323
Fax: 01723 506600
LGNL: 456
Scarborough Borough Council,Town Hall, St Nicholas Street, Scarborough, North Yorkshire. YO11 2HG
Customer First Contact Centre
Gas Safety Week