Spending plans - consultation
Arrangement of public meetings or other means by which
citizens can be consulted on budget plans for the forthcoming year.
Previous consultations may be published or available for view on
Each year the Council plans its spending for the following
- Do you know where the money comes from?
- Do you know how we make decisions?
- Do you run a mile when people mention budgets?
The Council's financial year runs from April to the following
March. Each year the Council goes through a process to discuss and
then agree the budget for the next financial year. It works
something like this:
- The Financial Strategy, as approved by Full Council, requires
the Medium Term Financial Plan to be updated for
known financial pressures facing the Council over the next
- The Medium Term Financial Plan is considered by an informal
Member/Officer working group every 6 weeks with periodic reports
being produced for the Executive.
- The Executive determines guidance on the financial plan and
agrees a way forward for Officers to submit new spending plans and
efficiency savings to be included in next years budget.
- Consultations about the spending plans and Council Tax
increases are undertaken with the Public through Area Committees
and the Borough News.
- During January the Executive confirm their proposals for the
forthcoming budget and the impact on the Council Tax. These
proposals go to a meeting of the Full Council where they are voted
upon, with the outcome implemented as the Council's budget for
the next year.
If you would like to ask a question or make any comments about
the budget consultation process, including any ideas about how it
could be improved in future years, or would like to find out about
the budgetary consultation conducted last year, please use the
contact details provided.