Skip Navigation  |  Accessibility  |  Cookies  |  Legal  | Standard Text SizeLarge Text SizeLargest Text Size

Housing Benefit - new claim

Processing of a new claim for housing benefit from private tenants. Claims require evidence of tenancy and income in order to assess eligibility for benefit.

Can I claim?

You can claim if:

  • You have to pay rent to a private landlord or housing association
  • Your savings are £16,000 or less (different rules apply to pensioners)
  • You are on a low income for example:
    • You work full or part time and receive a low wage
    • You receive Income Support or Jobseeker’s Allowance or any other state benefits
    • You receive Pension Credits or a small pension

How to claim

Complete our Benefits Online New claim form. Or...


Download and return our Housing and/or Local Support for Council Tax application form 


Alternatively contact us to ask for an application or call in to any of our offices to collect an application form.


The DWP offer a benefits advisor service where you can do a trial calculation before making an application, to see how much you may get. 
Please return all forms to The Benefits Office, P.O. Box 148, Town Hall, St Nicholas Street, Scarborough, North YorkshireYO11 2ZH with all necessary supporting documents as soon as possible.

For help in completing benefit claim forms

You can bring your claim form and/or documents to the Town Hall, Customer First Centre in Scarborough or any of the area offices at Eastfield, Filey or Whitby on weekdays.
You can also use any of the Area Offices or post these documents to us. We will copy and return original documents to you.

Working-age Customers

If you are in receipt of Jobseeker's Allowance (Income-based),  Income Support or making a claim for Employment and Support Allowance via the Jobcentre you can complete a HCTB1 claim form at the same time.
You still need to complete one of Scarborough Borough Council’s application forms which are available at the Jobcentre.

Senior Citizens

If you apply for Pension Credit you will receive a HCTB1 claim form in your application pack which should be completed and returned to Scarborough Borough Council.

Additional Help

For further information about possible benefits available to you, you can visit the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) website for general guidance or alternatively visit the government website for any working age and non-working age queries.
If you feel that you would benefit from or require independent professional advice then there is a local office of the Scarborough and District Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) 

Free Debt Advice

The Money Advice Service has launched a new free online service to help people to manage their debts. 

It aims to give people access to free and impartial debt advice.


The Money Advice Service is an independent service set up by the Government to help people manage their money better. It provides a wealth of other online information, where partners and claimants can access extra support material on how to budget

Scarborough Borough Council,Town Hall, St Nicholas Street, Scarborough, North Yorkshire. YO11 2HG
Customer First Contact Centre
Gas Safety Week