Skip Navigation  |  Accessibility  |  Cookies  |  Legal  | Standard Text SizeLarge Text SizeLargest Text Size

Licensing Act 2003

The Licensing Act 2003 amalgamated six existing licensing regimes which covered the sale and supply of alcohol, the provision of regulated entertainment and the provision of late night refreshment and replaced them with a single system of premises licences. 

Notice Of Application For A Premises Licence


Scarborough Water Park, Former Burniston Barracks/Car Park, Burniston Rd, Scarborough 


Additional video information submitted by the applicant in respect of the above application:


Video 1 (hosted by YouTube)


Additional video information submitted by an individual who has submitted representations regarding the above application:


Video 1 (hosted by YouTube)


Video 2 (hosted by YouTube)

Under the Licensing Act 2003, the following activities will require a licence:

  • Retail sale of alcohol
  • Supply of alcohol (for club premises)
  • Performance of a play
  • Exhibition of a film
  • Indoor sporting events
  • Boxing or wrestling
  • Performance of live music
  • Playing of recorded music
  • Performance of dance
  • Supply of hot food or drink between the hours of 23:00 and 05:00


The Act established four statutory licensing objectives that are paramount when any relevant matters are considered.  The licensing objectives are:

  • the prevention of crime and disorder;
  • public safety;
  • the prevention of public nuisance; and
  • the protection of children from harm.



Additional Information 

  • Premises Licence Transfer - to transfer a licence from one person to another
  • Variation of Designated Premises Supervisor - to change the named DPS on a Premises Licence
  • Reviewing a licence - People who live or work in the vicinity of a licensed premises are able to ask the Council to review the licence if they are being adversely affected by the operation of the licence.
  • How to object to a Licence - The Licensing Act 2003 allows Responsible Authorities (Police, Environmental Health etc.), and interested parties to make representations (objections) to the Licensing Authority about the granting or variation of a Premises Licence.
  • Personal Licence - to sell or supply alcohol and/or authorise the sale/supply.  
  • Premises Licence - to use a premises for licensable activities.
  • Club Premises Certificate - to allow a qualifying club to engage in qualifying club activities as set out in Section 1 of the Act.
  • Temporary Event Notice - to carry out licensable activities at a temporary event.




Public Register
Every licensing authority is required to publish a public register giving details of applications, licences and certificates issued under the Licensing Act 2003.


If the information you require does not appear in the register, please contact the licensing team via the contact details at the bottom of this page to ascertain whether the information you require is available.

Related Documents

Legislation & Policy

Guidance & Information


Related Forms


Film authorisation



External Website Links

Scarborough Borough Council,Town Hall, St Nicholas Street, Scarborough, North Yorkshire. YO11 2HG
Customer First Contact Centre
Gas Safety Week